Download PDF by Miriam Griffin: A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the
By Miriam Griffin
- Explores Caesar from various views: army genius, ruthless tyrant, amazing flesh presser, top notch orator, refined guy of letters, and more
- Utilizes Caesar’s personal extant writings
- Examines the viewpoints of Caesar’s contemporaries and explores Caesar’s portrayals through artists and writers in the course of the ages
Read or Download A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
During the Classical interval, the Athenian hoplite tested an unwavering willingness to shut with and kill the enemies of Athens, each time and anyplace he used to be required to take action. but, regardless of his pugnacity, he was once no longer a certified soldier; he used to be an untrained novice who used to be neither compelled into conflict nor appropriately remunerated for the hazards he confronted in wrestle.
This is often the 1st selection of scholarly essays at the Homeric Hymns, a corpus of 33 hexameter compositions that have been most likely recited at gala's of the gods whom they honoured and have been frequently attributed in antiquity to Homer. After a common advent to fashionable scholarship at the Homeric Hymns, the essays of the 1st a part of the publication learn intimately elements of the longer narrative poems within the assortment, whereas these of the second one half supply severe awareness to the shorter poems and to the gathering as an entire.
This can be a e-book in regards to the ways that quite a few intellectuals within the post-classical Mediterranean imagined the human neighborhood as a unified, homogenous entire composed of a variety of components. extra in particular, it explores how authors of the second one century CE followed and tailored a selected ethnic and cultural discourse that have been elaborated through overdue 5th- and fourth-century BCE Athenian intellectuals.
The Mediterranean basin used to be a multicultural area with a very good variety of linguistic, spiritual, social and ethnic teams. This dynamic social and cultural panorama inspired large touch and alternate between diverse groups. This ebook seeks to provide an explanation for what occurred while diverse ethnic, social, linguistic and spiritual teams, between others, got here into touch with one another, particularly in multiethnic advertisement settlements situated in the course of the sector.
- Alexander's Marshals: A Study of the Makedonian Aristocracy and the Politics of Military Leadership
- John Lydus and the Roman Past: Antiquarianism and Politics in the Age of Justinian
- Rome and the Friendly King (Routledge Revivals): The Character of Client Kingship
- Classification from Antiquity to Modern Times: Sources, Methods, and Theories from an Interdisciplinary Perspective
Additional resources for A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Miriam Griffin